If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Friday, January 6, 2012

TGIF

Thank God it's Freezing!

What were you expecting?

Right now, I am not really thankful for the cold. As a matter of fact, when it first really hit us earlier in the week I thought to myself,"Yep, it's time to move!"

Everyone always says that...expect the unexpected. Flashy marketing, because if it is expected then it never really can be unexpected. I get what they are saying but yeah, it kinda gets a whatever from me. If I were truly able to expect the unexpected then those car repairs last month wouldn't have been such a painful surprise.

Better to cultivate an attitude of gratitude. I hate the cold, but at least we don't have to mow the grass for awhile. Those car repairs were a pain, but now we don't have to keep running our cheat every time the car decides to lock up. I maybe not be able to sleep right now, but hey at least I can entertain you.


It's not an easy place to get to though. Well, at least it hasn't been for me. Silver and gray are so close that some days it is nearly impossible to distinguish what color the lining of that cloud really is!



I started to try to reprogram myself awhile back. I kept a little gratitude journal. It was very simple. Before I went to bed, I would just jot down five things from the day I was grateful for. If I was having a bad day or just didn't feel particularly blessed, I had five standard answers: food, water, air, my house, my health. Usually by the time, I wrote that down I eased up a little and would add some more "genuine" gratitudes.

I actually do no keep a formal journal these days but rather express my appreciation throughout the day. Sometimes aloud, but often silently. It does feel a little silly at first. Well, it did to me, I felt self-conscious. Odd really since it wasn't really even something I was sharing with anyone. I realized the other night that I have been being pulled to the dark side of the force.

So yes, thank god it is freezing. Thank god I was sick for two days and slept away most of that time. Thank god these chairs are so uncomfortable or I would sit here all night. Thank god for those of you who take the time to read this. And yes, finally, thank god it's Friday!


(See also http://tisbetter2give.blogspot.com/2010/10/do-mathcount-blessings.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment