If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Forgot Friday...but here's a vegetarian take on White Castle to make it up to you!

I started my Friday with breakfast out with my hunny. Being out, I stayed out 'til is was time to pick up the boy. Took him for a haircut. Hung out at home. Made a delicious first run of vegetarian White Castle for my daughter. The hubby decided we should celebrate some good news, so we dined at China Cottage...alone!

So, I didn't post...sorry.

To make it up to you, I am going to satisfy the curiosity you now have about vegetarian White Castle. Like I said it was a good first run but there is room for improvement texturally.

What we used:
  • half an onion - minced
  • One box of Boca Cheeseburgers - thawed
  • 14 slider buns
  • cheese (shredded because that's all we had)
  • pickle relish (because we were out of slices)
  • ketchup
  • oil for the pan
First, I put oil on my stoneware baking sheet and placed it in a cold oven. I set the oven at 400 degrees. While waiting for the oven to heat up I minced the onions. I use and highly recommend the Tupperware chopper, can't think of what it is called exactly but it's well worth the investment. Once I had them minced the pan had heated up enough that I spread the minced onions on the pan.

Then, I laid out a sheet of wax paper and placed the four thawed Boca cheeseburgers on the paper touching and covered with another sheet of wax paper. Roll the four patties into large rectangle about as long as your bake pan but not quite as wide. Cut into White Castle patties using pizza cutter. I did not go the extra mile and put holes in my patties, maybe next time.

By this time, the oven was to temperature. I placed the patties on the sheet, ten minutes each side.

Heated the rolls with a tumbler of water in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Then assembled the tasty little treats.
Vegetarian Sliders


I thought the taste was just right but next time I am going to add a pan of water to the oven for a little steam bath action. And of course, American cheese slices and pickle slices but all in all, it turned out quite well. If you are wondering where I got the idea to use a baking sheet...my dear old dad. I remembered that he used to make sliders in a similar fashion. I only have a stoneware sheet, that's why I used it. Dad always used a large metal sheet pan. We used to use hawaiian rolls because slider buns were unheard of outside of White Castle when I was a kid. Anyway. I made them because my daughter has been veg for almost a year and a half and she pondered whether is could be done because it was something she was craving. I didn't get an official word from her but I assume they were acceptable because she ate most of them.

Another thought too, is that you probably could get an even twenty (2 packs of buns). Boca doesn't shrink, and I think with a little more care you could cut that many out.

Have a great weekend everyone! See you on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment