If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Friday, January 27, 2012

Inexpensive, easy, and good...


...no I am not describing myself.

So somewhere between the Veggie White Castle and today, my hubby and I decided to do a week of vegetarian meals. I don't know if it was the meatless cart or the deals or a combination but our grocery trip came in way under normal.

I wasn't feeling a lot of prep or a lot of effort last night so I made an old favorite of mine called Carrot Tofu Scramble. It's really is simple and easy. One pound of shredded carrots, one pound of firm tofu drained and crumbled, 1/3 cup soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil and sesame seeds if you've got them.

I used to have a huge skillet to make this in but now I just use my wok. I forget how much oil the original recipe calls for, I usually just eyeball it. Heat up the oil, throw in the carrots cook at medium high about 15 minutes. Throw in the tofu, go another five minutes until the carrots are soft. Add the remaining ingredients, serve hot. It 's recommended over rice. I used broken whole wheat linguine tonight.

I also didn't have sesame oil so I added 2 teaspoons of chili oil after I took out the boy's portion.  It came out great. I used to make this all the time when it was just me and the girl and I could get a couple of meals out of it. Thinking about it while I was cooking, it probably comes out to about a buck a serving to make this. It's hearty, it's tasty, it's easy, so why wouldn't you?

My cell phone camera really doesn't do this dish justice!






No comments:

Post a Comment