If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Whole Wheat Flax Beer Bread from Do You Bake?


I believe I posted about this bread before. I wanted to post again because I made it differently and have my own photos and I haven't got anything else to talk about.

 This is all it takes to make a loaf, and yes, I am aware of the irony of using a diet soda with my all-natural, preservative-free, additive-free mix.

I made it with Coke Zero last time and it had a tinge of sweetness to it. I wondered if root beer would have a similar sweetness.





I probably should have used the macro setting to show you the texture of the mix better. I just love how hearty it looks. The darker areas are the flax seeds.
 Just 12 ounces of liquid is all you need to add to the mix.

Just for the record. Those are two different measuring cups. I measured in a two cup and mixed in a four cup, but in the future I will use something slightly larger for mixing.

Prior to baking, the instructions specify to add one tablespoon of olive oil or melted butter/margarine to the top.

The finished product.
To be honest, I didn't really care for this batch of bread. The flavor was fine with the root beer, but using oil instead of butter seemed to dry out the top. Also, if you weren't an olive oil fan, the flavor would definitely bother you as the earthiness of the EVOO was fully imparted in this bread.

I still recommend this bread mix. My husband liked it both ways, as did the kids...and the dog. I just personally probably won't use oil in the prep in the future.

In addition to Whole Wheat Flax Beer Bread, Do You Bake offer seven other varieties of beer bread, along with sweet cream breads. You can check them out at http://www.DoYouBake.com/JennyWolfe.

No comments:

Post a Comment