If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Monday, February 13, 2012

The gift of being boring

I thought about throwing in my own two cents about the weekends events but truthfully I have no interest in Whitney Houston, the Grammy's or the Powerball for that matter. I just don't. Yet another one of those reason I'll never be "normal".

At the end of the day, none of those things really have any effect on my life.

I had this rolling around my head last night, but wondered if it was a good subject. Then, as we were laying in bed doing a quick channel surf, some commercial for some show that just looks awful reminded my husband of something he saw that looked good. I can't remember what the show is called but he quickly followed up his that looks like it would be worth watching with a very true comment that he probably would never see it though because he just doesn't schedule his life around TV.

Heck, we have been with cable or Dish or whatever the kids are calling it these days for nearly five years. We dropped it for financial reasons and it's just never come back into the budget. Most people react as if we just told them we were cannibalistic nudist when we deliver the news that no, we've never seen that reality show that is a rehash of a show from the 80s that was based on a show from the 60s.

Again, at the end of the day, none of those things really positively affect the outcome of my life. I enjoy a good hour of mindless entertainment just like the next guy. But there is a lot to that GIGO computer term. Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you fill you head with BS all day, then what's going to come out of your mouth? If you sit around watching train wrecks all day, then eventually you do become desensitized to the gore of it all.

There is something extremely perverted about sitting around and watching other people's lives fall apart. So, I just don't do it. There are only a few shows I make an effort to watch: Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Closer to Truth, and SNL (and then only if it's a decent host.) So, if it makes me weird and boring to not want to fill my head with useless crap, then I will proudly wear that badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment