If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Songs I never get tired of...

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping

The Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight)

Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Tom Waits - Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis (Maybe not really a Christmas song, but hell, it's got it in the title)

Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis (How come I never hear that on the Muzak?!)

Traditional Hymn - Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence (Don't be so shocked, my souls not entirely black)

The Pogues (featuringKirsty MacColl) - Fairytale of New York (I never, never, NEVER get tired of this song. If I had to make a list of all time favorite songs, this song would make that list. I love the Pogues, and really miss my old tapes.)

I guess that would be a start. There are so many Christmas songs in existence that it makes you wonder why only the same five are played over and over 'til I feel like driving candy canes through my ears to stop the pain. I've been lucky enough to find a few CDs that don't suck. Right now, I am listening to Tom Waits rendition of "Silent Night" which will be followed by Jewel singing "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer". It's a surprisingly good CD. It also has Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins to name a few.

Outside of the those overplayed renditions of those limited songs, oh and that freakin' stupid Red Shoe song, I am a vehemently opposed to Beatles songs (in general and at Christmas). I just think that the Beatles place in rock 'n roll history has been overstated. I'm not saying they didn't have a few good songs, I'm just saying there are a lot of other musicians and groups that have had (and still have) great influence on the scene. I guess I have just never really been able to buy into the hype, and if that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right. I don't want to be a merry little scenester talking the trash the Rolling Stone feeds me. And I don't care how many people claim the Beatles to be their biggest influence, the only band that has ever really even sounded remotely close to the almighty Beatles is Oasis.

But what do I know, I'm just the biller...

2 comments:

  1. well hope your week end will be cool this year...
    You can hear a lot of Xmas songs right now on http://sky.fm/

    i do love that song by Run D M C...”It was December 24th on Hollis Ave in the dark. When I seen a man chilling with his dog in the park I approached very slowly with my heart full of fear Looked at his dog, oh my God, an ill reindeer.”

    There was another cd i heard last year called “Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics.” It was put together by that show called South Park. Its a Christmas Classic not for kids.
    well happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, good ol' Mr. Hankey! I thought of that after the fact, and damn near any parody song ever done.

    You have a good Holiday too.

    ReplyDelete