If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Thursday, August 18, 2011

People are strange, when you're a stranger...

Good fit. What exactly does that mean? I think the definition of good fit is about as wide-ranging and arbitrary as the definition of business casual.

I have been thinking about that a lot this morning. First, at my open interview, for the first job I have come across in a long, long time that is actually interesting and that I would kick some serious ass in. They mentioned that a few times about how we could determine if they were right for us and vice versa. It was an open interview situation, so we'll see. If I get called tonight, then my faith in humanity just might be salvageable.

When I came home, I had a letter from Kohl's stating that yada-yada-yada you suck, go away. Okay, that's not what it said. It said and I respond:
We want to personally thank you for your interest in an employment opportunity with Kohl's Department Store. Personally? I never met the person who signed the letter, and I doubt that any of the people that herded through applicants that day could pick me out of a line where I was wearing a name tag. We enjoyed meeting you and learning about your background and experience. Did you? I don't think you learned anything about me or my background in your round the circle sessions of the same questions to every person at the same time. I suspect that my answers were "too perfect" for your run of the mill customer service quiz which is unfortunate for both of us because I arrived at those "too perfect" answers through a combination of education and ten long years in the trenches of healthcare accounts receivable and insurance nightmares. So, like the boyfriend who could never remember my name it would behoove you to know my name before you disingenuously tell me you love me but npt in THAT way.

We have had the opportunity to meet many qualified candidates for the opportunities we have available. One Thousand scheduled for 150 jobs plus any walk-ins, so yeah I'd say that was a few. Although, I disagree on the term qualified...unless the only qualification was a pulse. Although you demonstrate many qualities, we are unable to offer you a position at this time. Name one! I bet you the balance of my Kohl's charge that you can't. I bet you double or nothing that you can't even give me a concrete reason that you are not hiring me.
We will retain your application on file for any future opportunities that may develop. I bet you say that to all the girls.
If you have any questions, please contact the store. How? It's not opened and you certainly did not provide any contact or follow-up information to applicants.
Thank you again for your interest in Kohl's. We wish you the best in all your endeavors. No problem! I will certainly think of your fondly when I am shopping at Elder-Beerman.

Well, that was fun!

Whatever happens, happens with that job today. I certainly could use 30k base plus bonuses. And like I said I think I could kick some serious back side in a position like that. I don't know how to really act in a group interview. Do they want you to act like an ass and be all in their face? It's not my style. And just because I am not jumping up and doing tricks does not mean that I am not the best person for the job. I am a reserved person. I think it's called class and manners. God damn my family for teaching them to me! Decorum is a dying or at least changing to some sick level where in order to "prove" oneself and one's fit one has to act like a drunken sorority chick on all expenses paid Spring Break in Cabo.

Don't get me wrong. I can doI have done drunken sorority chick. Tomo Dachi! It's a great gig but there comes an age where it doesn't wear well. Looking at my past few rejections, I am speculating that being the best fit for the job is not as important as whether or not your employment qualifies the company for government subsidies. I am not a good fit because I am not easily expendable because I actually know that I have rights and I have the wherewithal to exert them. Also, not being in the system, I don't settle for whatever slave wages keeps me flush with food stamps and free medical. I expect to get paid for my work and rewarded for my ongoing service and performance.

I hate to say it, but lately I am having a really hard time not thinking there is something to those Zeitgeist movies. It was easy enough to discredit them when it was my crazy-ass BILs that were passing burned copies to everyone they knew. I don't know. I don't like when the math doesn't work out. I don't like the completely futile feeling of life lately.

But that's just me...and I have heard I am not a good fit :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment