If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Recycled Garbage

Listening to my five-stars has brought to a nice Garbage set. I'd totally start a Garbage cover band... if I could sing. I don't know maybe I can. I certainly can belt out "When I Grow Up" in the comfort of my car when no one is around.

My salesman husband would ask what's holding me back, and then proceed to tell me that it's really like the third or fourth thing that's the issue. So, what's holding me back...

Is I don't know an answer? I mean, sure, yeah, it's an answer but is it valid? I have a voice. I have a mic. I have a musician. I have access to all manner of mixing and processing and could even make some videos. I am not even talking about playing out, more like glorified karaoke. I don't have a cool name, a stage name, or at least a diffuse the public recognition name.

I used to sing all the time when I was younger. I loved choir but had to quit and never got back into it because I somewhere lost confidence. I spent a lot of time in high school perched on a stool in front of my mirror doing sets of jazz standards, sets of ballads, sets of whatever was on the radio. That's all I do anymore is the radio. Sure, I did spend a little bit of time with a fledgling gospel choir last year but it did nothing to help my confidence. 'Twas the "soup nazi" of music and I was full of nerves when I went for a solo. I'd practiced all week, and when it came up I came in late and she moved on.

I'd like to say that some have called me the song bird of my generation, and that unicorns would appear but I am not so sure. Sigh, and really, I need to sing at least one track for my husband because that was the premise of our meeting up in the first place, and after six years, I've run out of ways to distract him and I don't have the rhythm to learn drums.


No comments:

Post a Comment