If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sleeping with a Rockstar, sleeping with...

This is not some schmoopy post about life with my husband. Although, before him my only experience with energy drinks was Josta way back in the day and a Red Bull and Vodka that I never finished. My other half is quite the purveyor of drinks that have heart attack warnings or as he calls them "Strength".

I remember the first time I had strength. He finally convinced me to try one when we were in Cincinnati over Memorial weekend in 2007. I don't remember what I had only that it took me the better part of the way home to finish it...and that I was up until four in the morning that night. Since then, I have been known to have one on occasion. If something new comes out that comes highly recommended by him, then I'll give it a whirl when I feel like not sleeping sounds like a good idea. 

You can imagine then the excitement generated when we saw Rockstar Relax a few weeks ago. It wasn't a night for relaxing, plus we weren't where the deals are at so we passed. Few days later, he and I split one. I slept well that night.

I wanted to try it because it does not have Melatonin. Me and melatonin do not get along, and I try to avoid it at all costs. Unfortunately, just about every other mellow mood, relaxation tonic contains it.

So, last night, I thought I'd try one again. This time, I drank the whole can myself. I should have known I was in trouble when I went to the bathroom and noticed what a dopey grin and sleepy eyes I had. Yes, I most certainly relaxed. However, in the future, I will not drink more than 1 serving aka half a can.

It was a bit disturbing, much like my usual melatonin experiences except I didn't wake up at 2 in the morning unable to get back to sleep. And by disturbing, I mean pretty f'd up. It was as if Syd Barrett and Quentin Tarentino collaborated on a screenplay for Stanley Kubrick to direct. I'd be afraid to even try to analyze the dream because it was just that grotesque.

Overall, it's a good tasting drink and I didn't have problems with the single serving size. There is nothing in the ingredients that jumps out at me, so my best guess is that it was too much of a good thing and that my overtiredness of the past week worked against me. I have another in the fridge, and I'll probably give it another whirl tonight. However, if there is more facial debridement in dreamland, I will just stick to chamomile.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, found you through the weekend blog hop! Ok, I have never heard of Rockstar Relax. I almost always need help sleeping. Maybe I'll try it--but only a half can at a time. LOL Following you on Google Plus :-)

    ReplyDelete