If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Monday, April 23, 2012

Do Not Disturb

From http://www.ernstwoltering.nl/pages/HiVolt/brainwaves.jpg
So, this Monday I woke up to a brilliant idea. Well, more like was awoken to and it's more of an application of existing technology than original idea but anyway...

I don't remember the last time I woke up on my own, when I was ready to wake up. It's been at least three years. Actually, more like four because when I was pregnant with our son, hip pain and general discomfort woke me up most nights.

My husband can never seem to understand why I am so tired all the time. What he sees is us getting into bed at the same time and me getting out of bed after him. In his mind, I am deeply, restfully, and blissfully sleeping every moment I am in our bed. I wish that was the case because I'd be super energized and ready to go much more often than I am lately.

So, my idea is to construct some sort of brain wave reader headband. This headband would have lights on it that indicate where the wearer is in the sleep cycle. Red would mean do not wake, green would be go, and yellow would be a wake at own risk sort of warning.

My husband woke me up in the middle of a dream. Sure, it was a crazy ass dream but nonetheless it was right in the middle. I feel disoriented when I get woke up like that. Takes me sometime to get my bearing and figure out what exactly this reality entails. I often think, that the reason I do not feel rested is because I don't really fall asleep until he gets out of bed. Not being fully rested is a bit like being drunk but not in any sort of fun way.

If this headband existed, then he wouldn't have woke me. I bet that I probably would have woke on my own in plenty of time to get him to pick up his rental for his business trip. At the very least, he would have woke me on a yellow, which would have meant that I was not in the throngs of deep REM. I would have been better mentally recharged, and then he would not have had to call me from the road while I was writing this entry to tell me he had a voicemail from our credit union. Turns out I left my debit card in the ATM this morning, and if I do not pick it up in 24 hours they will destroy it. It'd be nicer if they would just mail it back to me, but if they destroy it then I have to PAY for a new one, so why would they spend the postage when they stand to profit off my absent-mindedness!

If only...ugh, and now I have to go and get this back because I am thinking the kids will want to eat this week and I haven't bought groceries.

9 comments:

  1. Love this!! I will take one!! Except mine would probably read "DON'T YOU DARE WAKE ME UP!" LOL!! I never used to be this way.. I was up with the sun.. However, I am just not getting enough sleep.. maybe staying up until 2am blogging isn't helping! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine would be getting to that point. LOL, yeah, the burning the candle at both ends doesn't help us much does it!

      Delete
  2. I though you were going to tell us that your great invention had already been invented because my teenage daughter was just telling me about some sort of i-phone app that knows what stage of sleep you are in, and it wakes you up when you're ready! AMAZING if it really works! Sorry that I can't remember the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. I'll ask my teenaged daughter I'm sure she'll know and be annoyed at my vague description and uncoolness.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I am not the only one who has crazy thoughts!!! Yours is way more practical than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes it's the crazy thoughts that keep me most sane!

      Delete
  4. This is a good post, I am glad that other people also think this way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea! Let me know when you get your patent approved and I'll be the first one to order. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. uh-- I can sooo understand what you mean.. I don't actually fall asleep at night till my hubby gets in bed and most of the time its around 1 and then I wake at 530. I never feel rested but my husband thinks that I should because he sees me go to bed at 10.

    ReplyDelete