If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I can do all things, I can do all things: Or weird things you sing when the walls are caving...literally.

Ok, not the walls, it was the ceiling. We had a pipe bust today. It's amazing that one little crack can cause so much damage. The picture at right was taken before the second collapse. If you can see the crack off the hole, then you can imagine how large the hole in my dining room is right now.

It was a crazy frenetic time. I didn't realize what had happened at first. I thought that it had thawed as it usually does after a morning of people getting ready and some ambient heat. I should back up, our upstairs bathroom had frozen pipes. It's happened before. I wasn't really worried about it. It has happened before and it's worked itself out. Well, with my gentle nudging. I guess it's just too cold out right now for the tricks to work. As I type this it is 13 degrees with a windchill of 1, and it will probably get colder through the night.

Before any of the sky fell I just had tributaries of brown water leaking through the ceiling and drops all along the door jamb. At some point, the hall light was completely filled with brown water and it was trickling down. All this time, I was trying to do 100 things at once. Calling my hubby. Looking unsuccessfully for our main valve. Turning off breakers. Freezing my ass off. Losing my shoes. Forgetting what I was doing. Dumping tubs of water. Finding towels. Swearing excessively.

At some point, while in our garage, freezing, working for some sort of progress and being thwarted by bikes and a myriad of other things that I had arrange there for storage. I realized that I was in some what of a full freak out mode and it was impeding the progress that I wanted. Deep breath. I can do all things. I can do all things. I can do all things. I was singing it. It became a sort of mantra while I zipped around trying to figure out where the hell the shutoff was, dumping tubs of water, grabbing towels, talking with my husband on the phone. 

Well, that little song and thinking about those Allstate "Mayhem" commercials were probably what helped me not completely lose my mind. Oh, I am not gonna lie and say I didn't break down and cry at some point. I did...when the second chunk of ceiling fell. It's traumatic when it's happening. You don't know the extent of damage. You don't know how much it's going to cost to fix it. You just know that this is not the day you were having, and it certainly wasn't how you planned your afternoon.

Up to that point, I was having a fabulous day. I had worked out after my father-in-law picked up my son for their fun day. I worked on some journalling that was burning a hole in my heart. I planned a dinner for my hubby. Made an awesome lunch for myself. Was working on making chicken broth with plans to do the dishes, clean the kitchen, hit the store, and make a delicious little Asian dish for my hubby before I met my mom for dinner. I actually was feeling better than I have in awhile. Then....

Sigh. It's been an upsetting day, yes. Double-check. Underline. It's been a good day. What? Yes, it's been a good day. I got my workout in. I got some things off my chest and into the hands of someone who can take care of them waaay better than I can. I made 4 quarts of delicious broth. My husband had a friend who cared enough to come help me get the water shut off. My husband got to come in the middle of the afternoon. My daughter made me laugh with her whiny comment about the microwave and internet are the only things that keep her alive. (I turned off power to that part of the house because I wasn't so sure the water coming through the hall light wasn't going to do some sort of damage.) My daughter's boyfriend made me laugh harder when he followed up her melodrama with ,"Ma'am, ma'am, I am going to have to ask you to calm down" comment. My daughter and her BF went to his house since ours lacked what she needed to stay alive. My husband and I were alone, stressed, and needed a distraction. We found our distraction. I made the Asian dish. Our guy came and said it bad, but it was all fixable. I had a great dinner with my mama over a $5 pitcher of Margaritas.

I think if I hadn't forced myself into my little I can do all things song, I'd be really upset still. I am disappointed at this particular curve ball. I am not crying though. Freezing a bit. Wondering how long this is going to take to dry out so it can be repair. Really grateful that my husband's boss is soo understanding. Really aware of how kinda messed up somethings are in my life. Wondering a lot of things. Exhausted. Due for a shower. But not crying.

I can not go to the dark side. They might say they have cookies but they are like almond windmill cookies, and really who wants those?

So, not the best day of my life...but not the end of my life either. Please though if you are over, the weird blanket covered hole in the living is not a disaster but a portal to another level that you can only access if you have special powers so...maybe you could sing it with me: I can do all things, I can do all things, I can do all things, I can do all things!

and just in case you aren't sure what the whole I can do all things is about take a look at Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment