If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Monday, January 24, 2011

Seven Songs for a Monday Meltdown

These are in no particular order, at least, I don't think they are :)

1. NeverShoutNever-Sacreligious
 
If you've never met Christopher Drew, you most likely do not have a teenaged girl in your life. The first time I heard this is I was pleasantly surprised because it did not take the turn that I thought it would. The song is penned by Mr.Drew in response to his having been kicked out of church at age 16. I used to feel that same way a lot. I don't anymore. It's a nice feeling.



2. Cowboy Mouth - Jenny Says Some day, I will seriously work on my compilation of songs with my name in them and this song will be high on the list. On a day like today it is nice to be reminded to "Let it go, let it go, let it go!"


3.Spoon - Got Nuffin
I like Spoon. Is there any other reason needed?


4. JJ Fad - SupersonicWhy? Because you haven't heard this song in ages. If you are of a certain age, then this song makes smile. I see you bopping your head and remembering those simpler times at the skating rink already. If not, sorry maybe next time.



5. Rickie Byars Beckwith with the Gateway to Agape Choir- We Let It Be
This a recording of a rehearsal.  There are more dynamic versions on CD and that have been performed by others but this is still every bit as calming and beautiful. The Balls of Fire Gospel Choir at Unity of Dayton performed this a few months back. I hadn't heard it before then, but since I've probably burned it permanently into my soul.


6. Smosh - Firetruck
My daughter shared this with me the other day and I have it stuck in my head. Complete silliness comes in handy during a meltdown.


7. Quiet Riot- Bang Your Head
Why? Why after such a lovely list would I pick this song as my number seven song for a Monday meltdown? Distractions and stress management are fine but sometimes the best course of action is to feel your feelings. You'll feel better for it in the long run to admit that there is an issue that to try and stuff it down. I know not everyone likes metal, but lemme tell you it can be very therapeutic.


Today has felt like a consortium of Jenny haters have gathered to stick Voodoo dolls of me while they sit around my burning effigy campfire and chant incantations intended to firetruck me up. There are a few specific things, but I am trying not to dwell on them. I can't pretend I understand anything about my life anymore. I don't have any profound insights or gems of wisdom or nuggets of truth to share with anyone these days. But I've got a vast, eclectic and ever growing music catalog in my heads and maybe that is enough to keep me from going completely crazy.

Who knows anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment