If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Learn to give in order to receive

This morning's service was interestingly enough about spiritual gifts. One point of that was that you must learn to give in order to receive. I got a chuckle too when 29gifts.org was mentioned. I knew this topic was coming, our weekly newsletter always gives a blurb about what's coming up. When I read it, I really didn't realize how the message was going to hit me.



See, just prior to the lesson we welcomed new members. Or more correctly, the congregation welcomed myself, my hubby and about ten other people as new members. It was great. I can only speak for myself but I can't remember the last time I felt that much love and kindness thrown my way.

I don't think I really thought about giving and receiving being a yin/yang sort of thing. I think if I had to rewrite what has been written on the subject, I would say that it is better to give BECAUSE you recieve. This giving though has to be genuine, it has to come from your own spiritual gifts. It's really more complicated than I have time or intent to do devote to it.

I am posting a video of the song"I Give Myself Permission". This was the offertory today, and this version doesn't do it justice. Then, I may just be slightly spoiled because God has always surrounded me with great musicians and singers. Between this song and the spiritual gifts lesson, I feel more focused about a few things. Mostly little things but hey, ya gotta start somewhere right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment